Wednesday, March 26, 2014

wedding wednesdays-the groomsmen gifts

When we first started planning our wedding, I saw this cute idea for the groomsmen gifts. It was a little felt lined wooden box with a rocks glass, whiskey, coke and a cigar. I showed it to George and we both agreed that they would be perfect gifts for his four groomsmen. I looked for almost a year for these wooden boxes and didn't find any that were the size we liked, the right design or not crazy expensive. After searching for so long and coming up empty handed, I decided to make them myself.

I found unfinished wooden boxes in the perfect size at Michael's. I then bought some sheets of black felt and wood stain and went to work! I stained the boxes a dark mahogany and then cut the felt to size and glued it in place as to line the interior of the box. To fill the boxes, I wanted a personalized rocks glass, a small bottle of Captain Morgan, a small can of coke and a cigar. I got both the rocks glass and the rum at Bevmo. I even had a friend who etched the glasses for free. 

one of the glasses after being etched

George found cigars at a local smoke shop and I just picked up the mini cans of coke from Walmart. The result was a unique, reusable, personalized and handcrafted gift for each of the groomsmen. I didn't get any pictures of the finished gifts before we gave them to the guys but I do have a picture of them in progress though.

how they looked, except I hadn't lined the lid yet and we used coke, not sprite

What I liked about these gifts is that they were able to enjoy them on the day of the wedding. As they were getting in their tuxes, they all had a cocktail to help calm their nerves. And then afterwards, at the reception, the men were able to go out together and have a celebratory cigar. For less than $20 each, we made these fun groomsmen gifts.

making a cocktail with their gift

No comments:

Post a Comment