Monday, March 24, 2014

fresh spring rolls

So last week I decided to try my hand at making fresh spring rolls. Years ago my dad brought me to a little Thai restaurant in the back of a grocery store near our home town. It was literally a window with a table or two at the back of the canned foods aisle with an older lady making authentic Thai food. It was delicious.

the spring rolls we ordered

We ordered these fresh spring rolls (yes I still have the picture from my phone from 4 years ago). They were really tasty and I've been meaning to try and make them at home since. Yes, it took me four years to attempt these at home. My dad even bought me rice paper years ago and I never tried.

my ingredients prepped and ready to go

I finally got the courage up last week and with my new life as a house wife, I have the time to spend making difficult recipes. Rice paper is a finicky little beast and I wasn't sure how these rolls would turn out. I didn't really have a recipe, I just rolled up the ingredients I wanted into rice paper. I used red bell pepper, carrots, shrimp, romaine lettuce, cilantro and rice noodles. I made sure and had all the ingredients prepped and ready to go before starting.

you can barely see the rice paper, but it's there!

To soften the rice paper you have to dip it in warm water for about 20 seconds, just until it starts to become pliable but not too long or it will tear. I laid out my ingredients in the middle and rolled it up like I would a burrito. I served it up with some sweet Thai chili sauce, and they turned out great!

the finished product

1 comment:

  1. It was a great lunch and a better memory at the Thai Grocery.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete