Wednesday, March 19, 2014

wedding wednesdays-DIY flower girl accessories

I've gone over all my major vendors for my wedding, but there's more to wedding planning than the vendors. There's all the small details that you would never think about but end up taking over your brain in the months before your wedding. Since we were on a tight budget, I did a lot of things myself to not only save money, but to put my own touch and style into the wedding. And sometimes it was out of necessity because I couldn't find anything I liked, so I made something myself! In the next few weeks, I'm going to go over my DIY wedding projects. 

My first DIY project that I'm going to talk about is the accessories for the flower girls. Their headband and the basket for the flower petals. I decided to make the headbands myself to save money. I wore a very nice headband and wanted the girls to have something similar but didn't want to spend too much money. A lot of the girls headbands I found were too expensive or too ornate. 

the headband before I customized it

After looking at almost every store I went into for months, I found these plain ivory headbands in the girls section at a Target store in Roseville. They were the right color, they had similar fabric and texture as my headband and they were cheap! Only $5! I was lucky in that I got the last 2 on the rack. 


the finished headband

They were a little plain so of course I wanted to add a little sparkle and bling. I bought a pack of teal rhinestones from Michael's and just glued them on with some tacky fabric glue I already had. The rhinestones were about $3, so between the headbands and the rhinestones, I spent $13 for both girls!

Now for their baskets to hold the flower petals. Do you know how much they charge for a little fabric basket that will get used once?! It's insane, the cheapest I found was $25. Also, they were so small and all had this cheap, 1980s look to them. So not only did I want to save money, but I wanted to create something that I actually liked and could fit more than just a small handful of petals.

decorating the baskets with ribbon and hot glue 

I found some plain brown whicker baskets at Michael's that were on sale and dolled them up myself. I bought teal ribbon to wrap around the handle and silver ribbon to wrap around the basket itself. I tacked it on with a hot glue gun and they were done! I don't remember the price of the baskets or ribbon, but I do know I didn't spend more than $15 to make both of them. I also had leftover ribbon that I used in another DIY project!

So that's one of my DIY wedding projects. I think they turned out great and I didn't have to spend very much!

the finished headband and basket at the wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment