Wednesday, February 26, 2014

wedding wednesdays-the dj

our DJ setting up for the ceremony

A trend I've noticed with budget brides is forgoing a DJ and using an app or a smart phone or a computer to create their own playlist for their wedding music. It seems like a good idea, but in reality, a good wedding DJ does so much more than play music. They help you to provide a timeline for ceremony and reception, they get people on the dance floor, they create a party. The good ones even get on the dance floor with you!

Out of all the vendors for our wedding, we had to do the most research in finding a DJ. In our hometown, we have a big name DJ that does really good work and most people use. They can be slightly more expensive, but I wanted to talk to them to see if they had any options or packages that work with our budget. I used their contact form on their website and waited. No response. I figured maybe their contact form isn't working. So I emailed. No response. So I called. No response again. By that time, I figured, they may be an awesome DJ, but if they aren't replying to me before they have my money, what will it be like once I hire them? Needless to say, it left a bad taste in my mouth and we started researching other Wedding DJs in the area.

We called several DJs and got basic information, but only ended up making a meeting with one of them. We met our DJ, Kevin Hill after looking at his website and reading some reviews online. He was friendly, more than willing to answer all our questions, insanely organized and not pushy at all. We really got a good vibe from him and decided to book him after our meeting.

The biggest thing that got us to book Kevin, was his organization. He had his website set up to where you can listen to a lot of the songs that are traditionally played at weddings. This really helped in planning out our song lists. Also, he had worksheets that we fill out that gives him all the information he needs to plan and execute a perfectly timed ceremony and reception. I'm slightly OCD and to know that our DJ had control of the situation like he did, put my mind at ease.

I won't go into detail about pricing, but I do feel like we got a great deal. He was very reasonably priced and provided a lot of services that are extras with other DJs. He also had a special going if we booked him before the end of the year, so that helped as well. He provided ceremony music, a wireless mic for our officiant, and music and lighting for the reception. He was on time (early actually!), provided all the items he promised and threw a great party. He even got out on the dance floor with us at the reception! Our friends who are getting married this June ended up booking him that night for their wedding!

All in all, we were very happy with Kevin and we think everyone had a great time dancing!




No comments:

Post a Comment