Tuesday, February 25, 2014

guam sweet home


front hallway from the entry way

It finally can feel like home here. We have all our things and our condo is all cleaned up and organized. George and I worked all day yesterday to unpack all the boxes and to find a home for everything. It's funny how much stuff we have that we've been living without for months. A lot of the things we unpacked, we had forgotten about. It felt like Christmas!

living room from the dining area

another view of the living room

Our TV feels huge to us because we've been watching a smaller TV since we've been here. We have a coffee table being used as a coffee table, instead of a TV stand. And a TV stand being used to hold the TV! We're living like real adults now haha.


office from the living room

another view of the office

I LOVE my office area. It's so nice to have a dedicated space to work and blog. I've missed my iMac a lot too! The desk is in a corner with a large picture window over looking the pool and a wall of windows on the other side over looking the ocean and our lanai. Lots of natural light too. George even started a fish tank to give himself a hobby over here.

kitchen from the hallway

matching kitchen things, fancy!

Out of all the boxes, a good 25% were labeled kitchen. As I opened each box and grabbed another one, I couldn't believe how much kitchen stuff we have! I even downsized our kitchen gadgets and left a bunch in storage before we left! The first thing I did today was make pulled pork in my crockpot. I never realized how much I used it until I didn't have one! We have real silverware, real plates, my Keurig, real knives, more than one pan with actual lids. It's so exciting! 

the messy girls' room

One thing we still have left is to fix up the girls' room. The only thing keeping us from that is the extra queen sized mattress taking up 90% of their room. George and I shipped our bed and the bunk beds. We bought an air mattress and planned on sleeping on that until our things got here. About a month in, knowing that we have another 2 months to wait for our things, we broke down and bought a new mattress for our room. We just couldn't take sleeping on an air mattress any longer. Now seeing our old mattress, I realized how old it really was. Probably good we bought a new one! The only reason we're keeping it around for now is so my parents have somewhere to sleep when they visit next month. 

our room, from the doorway. our view is the ocean and pool

our room, from the back corner by the dresser

Our bedroom turned out nicely as well. For the first time in close to 10 years, I have a dresser! I had been using these plastic drawer type things to hold most of my clothes for so long. But since we moved here, George convinced me to stop living like I was in college and buy a real dresser. It really matches our room well and we were finally able to get rid of the fancy plastic bins! 

The only thing left to do, besides fix up the girls' room, is to hang our pictures. The weird thing about Guam is that all the walls (with the exception of 2 interior walls) are solid concrete. Not easy to get a nail into a solid concrete wall. I may or may not have tried. So we have to buy these special concrete nails and hang them later. I'll let George handle that one!

1 comment:

  1. We had a lot of kitchen boxes too. I couldn't fit it all in the kitchen and ended up putting a box of kitchen stuff in the basement and still I want more! Your place looks so bright and cheery, I love it!!!

    - Hausfrau

    ReplyDelete