Friday, February 14, 2014

valentine's day

This is the third Valentine's Day George and I have celebrated together. I honestly don't expect anything special on this day. I'm perfectly happy just spending time together like always and maybe doing something small for George. This year I decided to try out a recipe I found on Pinterest. I like using my free time to make little treats for George to bring to work and figured I would send him to work today with some little goodies. 

mini pie pop

 The recipe I got this idea from is here. I had to make a lot of changes to that recipe and found several things that needed tweaking. Here's my version of mini pie pops

Ingredients
1 package Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
1 can of blueberry pie filling (21 oz)
1 egg, beaten
decorating sugar, for sprinkling
flour for rolling out the crust
10-20 lollipop sticks

Directions
1. Preheat your oven to 425° and get your cookie sheet ready by spraying it with cooking oil
2. Sprinkle your work space with a little dusting of flour. Unroll one pie crust and cut as many circles with your round cookie cutter as you can. I got about 11, 3 inch circles plus 8 or so little hearts out of each crust
3. Repeat step 2 with the other pie crust. Then, roll out the leftover scraps from both crusts to cut more circles. Set all circles and hearts aside
4. On the greased cookie sheet, lay out as many circles as you can fit on your sheet. I fit 8 per sheet, make sure to leave space for the lollipop sticks
5. Press a stick into each circle, make sure they sink into the dough or they'll fall out once they've been baked
6. Put about a teaspoon of pie filling into the center of each circle. I used a little over a teaspoon and made sure there were 3 blueberries per pie
7. Brush the edges with the egg and lay another crust circle on top. Seal with edges with the end of a fork
8. Use the fork to poke vents in the top of the pie. This will help it vent and avoid filling spilling out of the edges. Brush each pie with a little egg and add a heart on top. Then sprinkle with a little decorating sugar
9. Set your timer for 6 minutes. My pies took 8 minutes, but you'll want to check them at 6 minutes, and then every minute after that. Depending on your oven, yours may take more or less time than mine. They're done when they're golden brown
10. Let cool on a cooling rack and repeat steps 4-9 until you've used up all your pie crust circles

 
 adding the filling

 all sealed up and ready for the oven!

fresh out of the oven, no filling spilled out!

I completely expected a Pinterest fail out of this recipe, but they turned out great! I was able to get 13 pie pops out of this recipe. I also have a ton of pie filling left over! I'm just hoping the guys at George's work like them!

Happy Valentine's day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment