Monday, May 19, 2014

photography detour

close-up of the flame tree

Every time I drive south of us, I drive past this park in downtown Hagåtña with the most vibrant, beautiful flame trees. There's so much beauty on the island but there's something so striking about the flame trees. I always tell myself that next time I head south, I need to bring my camera so I can stop and take pictures. This past weekend I finally brought my camera with me and stopped for a little photo op. 

Sirena at San Antonio Bridge park

I had never been to the park before, but besides the beautiful flame tree, there was this statue of Sirena. She is a mermaid who is part of an old legend in Guam. I don't want to butcher the story by paraphrasing, so you can read about the folktale of Sirena, here. I just loved the way the statue was posed and you can see the wear and tear the island has taken on her.

Sirena

No comments:

Post a Comment