Tuesday, May 27, 2014

cupcakes, flags and more

view from the beach bar

The long weekend is over and we had some fun, sat on our butts and did a little exploring. We went to happy hour down the street Friday night and then proceeded to lay around all day Saturday and relax. Going out for a few beers these days seem to really slow us down the next day. We definitely aren't 22 anymore!

festive & delicious cupcakes

The rest of the weekend was rainy so planning any decent beach time was out of the question. Sunday we ran a few errands and then I tried my hand at baking. I made cupcakes from scratch and also tried a homemade buttercream recipe. I flavored the buttercream with a little coconut extract and it turned out very yummy.

 every flag a life

US & Guam flags

Monday we went down to Asan Beach to see the flags on display for Memorial Day. It was a humbling to see all the flags that represented a life lost during the battle for Guam. The 1880 US flags and 1170 Guam flags. I'm glad we were able to see it and spend some time there. It was also nice to see a lot of people at the memorial honoring those lost. 

 the north end of the tide pools

 there's a little cave in that large rock

Tarague tide pools

After leaving the memorial we took a trip to the Air Force base so I could show George the tide pools. I had been down to the two beaches on base, but had never known about the tide pools. My friend, Olivia, showed them to me about a month ago and knew I needed to take George there. I wasn't 100% sure about the path to get to them and even though George kept doubting my route, we made it! We spent a couple of hours there just looking at all the fish. It was nice because it was a cloudy day so it wasn't too hot nor did we have the sun beating down on us. 

the husband

All in all, a good weekend of relaxing before the girls get here next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment