Monday, January 20, 2014

weekend fun

Whatever cold I've caught seems to be holding its ground regardless of the amount of Motrin and DayQuil I throw at it. Which trust me, is quite a bit. Don't worry, it's all within the prescribed amounts. I'm not gettin' crazy with the Motrin over here. Anyways, the stubborn girl in me wasn't going to let this cold ruin a perfectly good weekend so we made plans for both days.
 
Saturday we decided to take it easy since I wasn't feeling too great still. We went to our favorite beach right down the road, Ypao. We relaxed in the sun for a couple of hours and of course, got some good people watching in.
 
Ypao Beach, Tumon hotels in the background

The clouds and the colors of the sky here are incredible

George's picture of the day
 
Apparently Saturday we had great timing because as soon as we left the beach, it started to rain. Which of course produced one of Guam's awesome rainbows. I actually was able to catch a picture from the car too!
 
  
Rainbow in Tumon
 
When we woke up Sunday I was feeling a little better so we decided to try out Onward Beach Club down the street. It's a waterpark attached to a hotel resort on Agana Bay. It's not as large as some waterparks back home, but it is a lot cheaper and less crowded. They have four water slides, a lazy river, a wave pool, various kid pools and an awesome slide called the Manta. I didn't get any pictures because we left our phones in the car so they wouldn't get wet. However, the Manta is like a large "U" shaped slide that you ride down one edge in a tube and the momentum shoots you all the way to the top of the other edge. This repeats 3-4 times before you eventually stop at the bottom. It was pretty scary for such a simple slide. We rode it twice! The second time George made me ride in the front of the tube and all I'm going to say is, never again. I'll stick to riding in the back of the tube from now on!
 
I'd also like to mention a few events that happened to others on this island this weekend. Sunday after we left the park and headed to the Navy base we noticed a lot of commotion at Asan Beach. There were firefighters, paramedics, search and rescue boats and a helicopter searching the waters. After reading the news online, it seems that two fishermen got knocked into the water and required rescuing. It seemed as though the search went on into the evening (we could still see the rescue boats from our condo). I did read this morning that both men were accounted for. In addition, this morning a tourist nearly drowned at Ypao Beach. The same place we were Saturday morning. She was also rescued and is doing well. Both events serve as a reminder to really respect the island and its waters. We're always safe when we snorkel and never get into waters we are unfamiliar with.
 
While we had fun both days, I'm still feeling sick and thinking I probably overdid it yesterday by going to the waterpark. So today I'm just relaxing on the couch while George goes to work. Hoping that my body will kick this cold soon!
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment