Tuesday, January 28, 2014

dirty thirty



I totally failed. I had the best of intentions to update this blog on Monday with all the details of my birthday weekend. However... the hangover gods decided otherwise. My level of hangoverness was at the frozen pizza and ramen for dinner level. So, I'll write about my weekend today.
 
George got us a room for Saturday and Sunday night at the Hyatt in Tumon. My plans were to have a low key night Saturday, lounge by the pool in the lovely Guam sun all day Sunday, then go out Sunday night with a whiskey bent and hell bound attitude. All went as planned except for the pool on Sunday. The powers that be decided to dump about a million inches of rain on us this weekend (and it keeps coming!). No joke, I just looked it up and in the past week we've received about 10 inches of rain.
 
Saturday before we checked into the hotel, George and I went to one of our favorite restaurants, Pika's Café in Upper Tumon. Of course we had a great lunch and some yummy mango mimosas. If you're ever in Guam, I highly recommend eating at Pika's. The food is super fresh, with an inventive menu and they buy local produce!
 
mango mimosa at Pika's
 
Afterwards, we checked into our hotel. We got the top floor! The view was great even though it was cloudy and raining. The color of the water in Tumon Bay is so pretty and bright.
 
view from our lanai
 
I've made one friend on the island and she joined us this weekend to help me celebrate. Saturday night we went to Ban Thai in Tumon for dinner. It's always busy and feels sort of like a tourist trap, but the food here is actually some of the best Thai food I've had. I wish I had some pictures of the food to share, but we were so hungry we ate it before I could snap any photos. After dinner, we went to the bar across the street from the hotel, The Green Lizard. There's a decent mix of tourists and military usually at the bar. It's a nice atmosphere and it's open air and a patio type setting. If anything, it's great for people watching! Oh, and the best part... they have Coors Light!!
 
typical military guy trying to pick up tourists

green lizard logo

coors light, I've missed you!

my love and I
 
The next day (Sunday) my friend Erica had some surprises dropped off to us for my birthday. She made us jello shots and jello shot cupcakes and got all these fun 30th birthday things to wear! Since Sunday was my actual birthday, we wanted to go out and really celebrate. We started off at Hard Rock Café for a late dinner. The bartenders were really friendly and gave the three of us 2 free shots of tequila to celebrate. Of course, after that we were feeling great! We headed back over to The Green Lizard and the ladies there kept feeding me these birthday shots. It's crazy how different the mentality about drinking is here. There's no way back in the states that bartenders would give out free shots just because it was my birthday. They didn't even check my ID to see if it was really my birthday! Of course, I gladly accepted all the free drinks!
 
getting ready to go out

 we made George dress up too

after a few cocktails... not sure who the lady on the right is!

it's a classy joint...
 
So that was my dirty thirty birthday weekend. We definitely tied one on Sunday night, and I felt it the next day! Luckily though, George surprised me with an hour long couples massage at the hotel right after we checked out! Best husband, ever, right?! It was so relaxing and we both almost fell asleep.
 
 After everything, we came home to a home cooked meal of ramen and frozen pizza and relaxed on the couch to watch a movie. And then I slept for 13 hours because I'm old now and can't party like those young'ns.
 



 



1 comment: