Thursday, October 30, 2014

happy birthday dad... and cupcakes

Growing up I always remembered my dad's birthday. It was the day before Halloween, one of my favorite holidays. Why? Because I loooooooooove candy. I have vivid memories of going over to my grandma and grandpa's house (my dad's parents) for dinner on his birthday. My sister and I were also so anxious for Halloween so this day early celebration couldn't get over soon enough. We wanted to get home and get ready for the next day! I remember we would get bored (as kids do) and go back to our grandparents' bedroom and watch TV. 



This year I'm not home to have a birthday dinner with my dad, so I will celebrate from afar with pumpkin spice cupcakes with whipped cream cheese frosting. They are delicious and easy peasy. The "recipe" for the cupcakes can be found in a million places on the internet. I didn't make it up, but you can find it anywhere if you google "2 ingredient pumpkin cupcakes." The cream cheese frosting is something I adapted from this recipe for cream cheese filling.

who doesn't love little baby pumpkins??

for the cupcakes:

1 15 oz can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 box of spice cake mix

Mix and bake according to the package 

I told you these were easy peasy!

for the frosting:

8 oz of low fat cream cheese
6 Tbsp of butter, softened to room temp
6 Tbsp of hi-ratio shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups of powdered sugar

In a stand mixer, cream the cream cheese, butter, shortening and vanilla together. Then slowly add the powdered sugar until it's all incorporated. Then switch to your whisk attachment and whip the frosting until light and fluffy. This takes about 8 minutes. 

perfect little pumpkin cupcake

Use whatever piping tip you prefer (I used #12) and frost those cupcakes. If you're feelin' fancy, top with sprinkles! I used orange and black sprinkles because it's Halloween, or because the SF Giants since they just won the World Series. 

Sorry dad that I am not there to cook you dinner, but maybe you can convince mom to make these cupcakes for your birthday? If not, just look at the pictures of mine and pretend you can eat them. I did make them in honor of your birthday. 

Happy Birthday Dad!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment