Wednesday, April 30, 2014

wedding wednesdays-DIY cake

I have been talking about all the DIY projects I did for our wedding for the past few weeks. This week is the last DIY project I will be sharing with everyone. It's also not a true DIY since I did not bake the cake myself, but I did go a less traditional, more DIY-type route for our cake.

it took us two full carts for the cupcakes

I started off with buying a bunch of cupcakes from my grocery store's bakery. I know cupcakes have been quite the new thing in wedding cakes, but I liked the idea for several reasons. One is that they're cheap and easy for any bakery to make look good. Two is that I could have different flavors of cake for my guests. Three is that they saved us money at the venue because we didn't require cake cutting and plates, so there was no "cake cutting" fee. I ordered 5 dozen chocolate cupcakes with white cloud frosting, and 5 dozen vanilla cupcakes with white cloud frosting from the bakery. They were only $6.99 a dozen. For less than $70 we were able to have cake for all of our wedding guests, and then some.

vegan cupcake for my sissy

We had one wedding guest that would not be able to eat the cake, regardless of how many we ordered. My sissy is a vegan and so of course I ordered a special vegan cupcake just for her! No, she didn't ask me to, but I love that I was able to get her in on the wedding cake action.

the cupcakes set up on the tiers

We rented a tiered cake holder to display all the cupcakes in the shape of a traditional wedding cake. 

our cake 

We still needed a cake for us to cut in the cake cutting ceremony. I wanted to add some color and have a special cake for us. A friend of mine had just started a cake baking/decorating business and since she was just starting out, I was able to get a small cake for a very good price. And she did an amazing job! We had a vanilla cake with teal fondant with pearl white frosting dots and a scalloped edge on the bottom. I didn't want a traditional cake topper, so I had her craft flowers out of sugar (I think that's what is was) and arrange them on the top like a floral centerpiece. She dusted them with a pearlized food glitter so they were very sparkly. I loved her cake, it looked so awesome! We set it on the top tier and the whole display looked great!

the final wedding cake display


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for supporting your bleeding-heart-liberal Sissy! :) The cupcake was noms.

    ReplyDelete