Thursday, November 13, 2014

homemade tomato sauce



There's something so gratifying in making a dish from scratch. Even more so when it's something that everyone buys pre-made. Like tomato sauce. I never ever thought it make my own until this summer. While visiting California my dad made his own tomato sauce. Of course I asked how to make it and it turned out to be really easy and really fool proof. I love those recipes. 



Since I got a food processor recently, I have been trying to make meals that require using it. As I was thinking of things to make with it, I remembered the tomato sauce my dad made and decided to give it a try. You can really customize your recipe and alter the ingredients or the amount of each ingredient to your tastes. It really is simple! Here is my version of homemade tomato sauce.

Ingredients

1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 small shallot, roughly chopped
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 large clove of garlic, cut in large chunks
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
8-10 fresh basil leaves
1/4 tsp fresh thyme
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste
splash of water

browning the onion mixture will add a little depth of flavor to your sauce

Directions

In a heavy bottom skillet, sauté the onion, shallots and bell pepper in the olive oil. Allow them to brown slightly. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. 

Add the tomatoes and fresh basil to the skillet and turn the heat to low. Allow the mixture to simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You will probably need to add a splash of water if your sauce is getting too thick. You can also simmer the sauce all day, just make sure to add a splash of water every once in a while to maintain the desired consistency.

what the sauce looks like after simmering 

Once the mixture has simmered and all the veggies have gotten soft, remove the pan from the heat. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Once it's cooled, transfer the sauce to a food processor and blend to smooth out the sauce. Return the sauce to the pan and add the thyme, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper.

It's done! Add it to any dish that uses tomato sauce! I added ground sausage and made spaghetti with it. You could also use it plain on noodles, in lasagna, or even in chicken parmesan. 

simple and delicious


No comments:

Post a Comment